Saturday, July 9, 2011

Drugs and the Meaning of Life



"I have a daughter who will one day take drugs. Of course, I will do everything in my power to see that she chooses her drugs wisely, but a life without drugs is neither foreseeable, nor, I think, desirable. Someday, I hope she enjoys a morning cup of tea or coffee as much as I do. If my daughter drinks alcohol as an adult, as she probably will, I will encourage her to do it safely. If she chooses to smoke marijuana, I will urge moderation. Tobacco should be shunned, of course, and I will do everything within the bounds of decent parenting to steer her away from it. Needless to say, if I knew my daughter would eventually develop a fondness for methamphetamine or crack cocaine, I might never sleep again. But if she does not try a psychedelic like psilocybin or LSD at least once in her adult life, I will worry that she may have missed one of the most important rites of passage a human being can experience."


The full article can be found at:
http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/drugs-and-the-meaning-of-life/
Thanks - from The Chairman - MaoXian - Beijing


I dedicate this post to My children and their mother who understand the importance to this "Rite of Passage". To my brother and his family who might have questioned my values.  To My very close friend over the years - who shared this adventure... and to my parents who tolerated me. (that makes 10 people 8 of which are receiving this post)  I couldn't have said it any better.

No comments: